Rigatoni al Forno Pugliese Style
Rigatoni al Forno Pugliese Style.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds meatloaf mix: ground veal, pork and beef
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, such as Chianti
- 1 24oz jar passata
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
For the Pasta:
- 1 pound dried rigatoni pasta
- 1 pound sliced mortadella, torn into pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Get the ingredients needed in this Recipe HERE
- To make the Sauce:
- Put a large skillet over a medium flame and heat the oil. Add the meat and season with salt. Sauté until browned, about 7-10 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine to the pan and cook until you can no longer smell alcohol. About 1 minute.
- Add the passata, salt and basil to the pan and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- To make the Pasta:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- When the sauce has about 7 minutes to go, drop the pasta into generously salted boiling water and cook for half the time of the package instructions. (Usually about 6-7) minutes.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the sauce until all the pasta is evenly coated.
- Spread the pasta into a baking pan (I used Nonna's Focaccia Pan available in the link above) and add half the mozzarella, half the grated cheese and 3/4 of the mortadella. Toss to combine.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella, mortadella and grated cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cheese is melted and there are plenty of crispy pieces of pasta on top.