Classic Osso Buco
Veal shanks or veal leg cut across the bone slowly braised to perfection.
For 4 Person(s)
For the Osso Buco:
- 4 veal shank steaks approx 1 inch thick
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 carrots diced
- 2 potatoes diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 bay leaves
- all purpose flour for dredging meat
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 350*F
- Dredge shanks lightly with flour and fry in olive oil until browned on both sides, place in a roasting pan.
- Saute` all veggies in same pan until slightly soft approx 8 minutes.
- Add sauce and wine and cook an additional 5 minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour veggies over veal shanks in roasting pan and add the bay leaves.
- Cover and place in oven for approx. 1 hour.
- Remove cover and roast for 25 minutes.
- The osso buco should be fork tender with a thick sauce and tender veggies.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook...
The Best Mother's Day Gift For Your
Mamma & Nonna!
Please Follow me on Instagram!
This dish can be eaten on its own, with plain white rice added to the sauce or a risotto alla milanese. Enjoy