Eggplant Parmigiana, Pugliese Style
Eggplant Parmigiana with Mortadella... a classic from Puglia as showcased on the Food Network - 24 Hour Restaurant Battle by Team Nonna! Also known as Eggplant Parmesan.
PS: This Video Recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna TV Channels available on: Roku TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire and Android. Please search for the Cooking with Nonna channel on your TV platform and enjoy the show on your large TV screen!
For 6 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 4 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Parmigiana:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmigiano cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely minced fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons, water
- 2 large eggplant
- olive oil for frying
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 12 slices, Mortadella
- Tomato Sauce Preparation:
- In a saucepan, add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil and the chopped onion. Once the onion becomes translucent, add the tomato sauce.
- Stir and cook at low flame for about 15 minutes. Save for later.
- Pastella/Parmigiana Preparation:
- In a bowl, add all the pastella ingredients and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and continue to mix. Add more water as needed to make the pastella rather liquid.
- Peel the eggplants and slice them longway about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dip the slices of eggplant in the pastella and fry them in olive oil.
- Once they turn golden, remove them from the oil and remove any excess oil with paper towels. Fry the rest of the slices of eggplant.
- Take a deep oven pan and coat the bottom with a generous coating of the tomato sauce.
- Deposit one layer of the eggplants to cover the entire bottom.
- Add a thin coating of tomato sauce on each slice of eggplant followed by a sprinkle of Parmigiano cheese and mozzarella cubes.
- Cover the entire surface with a layer of Mortadella.
- Repeat the layering process until you reach the top of the pan.
- The last layer of eggplants should be covered with a generous coating of tomato sauce and Parmigiano and finally with whole slices of mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400F.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes and serve.
Use the Code CWN20 to Get 20% OFF
On my New T-Shirts!
Yum. Had this for the first time when we were invited to our friends who are from Bari who now live ...
See Full Review >> - char83
Huge hit with the family! - Alisha123
Too good to be true !!! - nicofau
Thnx for Sharing your recipe it was one of my families favorite - Saint of circumstance
I am VERY picky about my Eggplant Parm, and this recipes was WONDERFUL! Now my favorite way to prep...
See Full Review >> - rclaeys3
So delicious!!! - Jannette
Phenomenal! Used fresh mozzarella! We've eaten and cooked many different eggplant Parmesan recipes a...
See Full Review >> - Anisa
you can leave that greasy gross mortadella out for me! made it this way and nobody liked it. I payed...
See Full Review >> - fallenangel666