Sugar-dusted soft cookies with a delicious ricotta and chocolate filling.
For 2 Dozen(s)
For the Cookies:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 2/3 pounds ricotta
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cool Whip
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- chips to taste (approx 1/2 cup)
- For the cookie dough:
- Combine sugar and shortening in mixer bowl and cream together till smooth.
- Add eggs and beat till smooth. Add milk and vanilla.
- Carefully add flour and baking powder, stirring together by hand or by mixer on lowest speed.
- For the filling:
- Beat ricotta and sugar together till smooth.
- Stir in Cool Whip and cinnamon.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out dough to 1/8" thickness and cut circles with 3" cookie cutter.
- Top half of the cookie rounds with a spoonful of ricotta filling.
- Top with second cookie and seal edges with your fingers.
- Prick tops with fork.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- When done, cookies with be light colored and just beginning to turn golden around edges.
- Cool on rack.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar.
The Cooking with Nonna Cookbook
How Can You Cook Without it?
Please Follow me on Instagram!
It's not necessary to seal the cookie edges with egg white. Just press edges together; the dough is soft enough that it will melt into itself as you press the edges together. Dough can be re-rolled and cut till you've used it all up.
delicious,my favorited pastry! - pete1