Savory Easter Scarcella - Meat & Cheese Easter Bread
Savory Easter Scarcella - Meat & Cheese Easter Bread.
For 1 Batch(es)
For the Scarcella
- 4 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces mortadella, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 3 ounces salami, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 3 ounces provolone or provola Ragusana, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
For the topping:
- 6 large brown eggs
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- Yield: 6 Breads
- Get all the Ingredients needed for this recipe HERE!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the eggs, grated cheeses, oil and the diced meats and cheeses.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix using a spatula until the flour is fully absorbed and a dough begins to form.
- Using your hands, knead the dough until smooth.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Take two pieces of dough about 1/2 Cup each. Roll both pieces into a rope about 10 inches long. Connect the pieces at one end and twist them. Connect the twisted pieces at the other end. Form the twisted pieces into a circle and join the ends to form a ring.
- Place a whole egg in the center of the ring.
- Take two small pieces of dough and roll them into a rope about 1/4 inch thick and 5-6 inches long.
- Fit the twisted rope over the egg and gently press it onto either side of the dough.
Brush all the dough with the beaten egg yolk and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they just begin to brown.