Tripe Rollatini... a delicacy from Castellana (Puglia).
For 2 Person(s)
For the Rollatini & Sauce:
- 1 pound tripe
- 1/4 pound Pecorino cheese shavings
- 1/4 pound Pancetta
- 4 cloves garlic
- fresh parsley
- black pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 medium carrots
- 20 pitted olives
- 1 medium onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine
- extra virgin olive oil
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Wash the tripe very well under cold water.
- Cut the tripe in rectangles of about 3"x4" each.
- Take each rectangle and sprinkle it with Pecorino cheese shavings.
- Add in the middle pieces of Pancetta, garlic, parsley and black pepper.
- Roll the tripe and close it either with toothpick or ties them with twine.
- In a saute` pan, add some EV olive oil and the chopped parsley, carrots, onion and the remainder of the Pancetta.
- Add some peperoncino as desired and add the olives.
- Let everything saute` for a few minutes and add the tripe rollatini. Keep on turning them in the pan so that they saute` on all sides.
- Add the white wine and let it evaporate.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and a little water.
- Cover and let everything cook for about 90 minutes at low flame.
- Occasionally stir and check the liquids level. If needed add some hot water
- Once done serve and garnish with plenty of Parmigiano.