Eggplant Rollatini di Nonna Romana.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Eggplant:
- 1 medium eggplant
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing the eggplant
For the Filling:
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into a 1/4 inch dice
- 3/4 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces prosciutto cotto or ham, sliced
- 3 cups marinara sauce - (See Recipe Below!)
- Get the ingredients needed for this recipe HERE!
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees.
- Slice off each end of the eggplant and slice it lengthwise into very thin slices, about 1/4 inch thick. You can also use a mandolin for this.
- Brush both sides of each slice with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until the slices can be easily rolled.
- While the slices are cooling, make the filling.
- In a mixing bowl combine the ricotta, eggs, mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, parsley and salt. Mix with a spoon until smooth. Set aside.
- Spreading about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Take an eggplant slice and layer a slice of prosciutto cotto on it. On one end of the eggplant add about 1-1 1/2 tablespoons of the filling. Roll the eggplant slice and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the slices.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of Marinara Sauce (See Recipe HERE) over each Rollatini.
*Do not over sauce or else the Rollatini will fall apart during baking. You will have sauce leftover to heat and serve with the baked Rollatini.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and bake for 30 minutes.