Anna Benedetto's Lasagne
Anna Benedetto's Lasagne. The lasagne I grew up with which brings back many wonderful memories of my mother Anna.
Also known as Lasagna.
For 6 Person(s)
For the Lasagne:
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces Italian plum tomatoes
- 28 ounces Italian puree
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound lasagne pasta, cooked ‘al dente’
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
Nonna's Cheese Grater
Get one in La Bottega!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a large saute pan and brown the ground beef and onions together; drain fat. Set aside.
- Remove sausage from casing; crumble and place in large pot with garlic and the remainder of the extra virgin extra virgin olive oil, cook at medium heat until the sausage meat has browned.
- In a bowl, crush the plum tomatoes by hand.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree, and tomato paste to the pot.
- Season with basil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Add ground beef mixtures and stir well. Simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine ricotta and eggs in bowl.
- In 15-inch lasagne pan, place a small amount of sauce on bottom; layer with 1⁄4 noodles, 1/3 ricotta mixture, 1/3 grated cheese; cover with 1⁄4 sauce.
- Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, and cover with remaining sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Buon Appetito.
First Course Recipes, Meat Recipes, Italian Pasta Recipes, Intermediate Recipes, All Recipes, Christmas Recipes, Thanksgiving Recipes, Easter Recipes, Valentine's Day Recipes, Lasagna Recipes, Mother's Day Recipes, Father's Day Recipes, Baked Pasta Recipes, Thanksgiving First Course Recipes, Christmas First Course Recipes, Easter First Course Recipes, Sunday Dinner Recipes