Capuzzelle di Agnello (Lamb's Head)
Capuzzelle di Agnello - Lamb's Head... a treat for Easter!
For 1 Person(s)
- 1 lamb's head, skinned and cleaned (cut in half and tied back together with twine)
- 4 ounces butter (melted or room temperature)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red or white wine
- Remove eyes and tongue of lamb's head.
- Parboil lamb’s head and tongue fully submerged in pot of boiling salted water covering head for 10 minutes.
- Leave tongue to simmer for 20-30 minutes longer in salted water. Remove, run under cold water, remove the outer tongue skin, or can be sliced into small slivers after cooked.
- Return tongue to lamb's mouth.
- Make a marinade by combining Butter (½ the amount), Olive oil (½ the amount), red wine, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper ingredients; pour over head while warm and marinate for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Bake in a 325F oven for 1 1/2 hours, basting and turning over every 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn oven broiler on high.
- Take the remaining butter (melted) and olive oil with a minced clove of garlic, salt and splash of wine mixed together. Pour half of this mixture onto the head put into the broiler about 6 inches from flame for about 5-10 minutes until minced garlic becomes lightly browned, turn over and put on the remaining mixture and again broil until lightly browned.
- SERVE HOT!