Easter Calzone - Scalcione di Cipolle
Easter Calzone: On Good Friday... the tradition is to have Scalcione.
This recipe is featured in the Cooking with Nonna Cookbook!
For 8 Person(s)
For the Dough:
- 1 pound all purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 6 bunches of scallions
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped Kalamata or Gaeta olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup chopped fillets of anchovies
- hot pepper
- Prepare the scallions by cleaning then, washing them and cutting them into pieces of 1 1/2" long.
- In a large pot add 4 Tbs of EV olive oil, the scallions, the tomatoes and the olives and the wine.
- Add salt and hot pepper to taste.
- Let the scallions cook at medium heat for about 15 mins.
- Remove from the stove, drain the juices and let cool off well.
- In a bowl add the flour, the oil and the wine (lukewarm). Also add a pinch of salt.
- Cut the dough in half. Take one half and with a rolling pin flatten it into a thin round sheet of dough large enough to cover the bottom of your baking pan (12" wide). Before you lay the dough in the pan, apply a very thin film of EV olive oil to the pan. Position the dough in the pan and then spread the scallions uniformly on the dough. Keep the scallions within 1/2' from the border of the dough. Spread the anchovies over the scallions.
- Take the other half of the dough and flatten it with the rolling pin into a round sheet that you will use the cover the scallions. Once you place the dough over the scallions cut any excess dough and with a fork seal the two sheets of dough together.
- With your fingers, apply a thin film of EV olive oil over the entire surface of the scalcione. Then, with a fork, puncture the surface every 2" and bake for 60 mins. at 400F.
Easter without il scallion is not Easter. Brava nonna. - nicofau
I cant believe i found this recipe. My mom was born in Mola di Bari.. My mother always made this dur...
See Full Review >> - MGMBARI
Just got my Scalcione in the oven to be enjoyed on Good Friday. Such a wonderful Easter week baking ...
See Full Review >> - mlieggimantovano
Thank you for posting recipes that I have grown up with. We are from mola di Bari and my two sons en...
See Full Review >> - mfcacace
Il ritorno alla mia gioventu\' passata in Mola di Bari. Grazie Rosella! - FrancoRotondi
OMG! I have been looking for this recipe for a long time. My Aunt Annie used to make a calzone that...
See Full Review >> - JoGot2
I love this recipe and will make it on Friday. I only wish you would've showed us how it comes out o...
See Full Review >> - ahawk61