Stuffed Mushrooms di Nonna Carmela
Stuffed Mushrooms... Nonna Carmela's treat for all the holidays!
PS: This Video Recipe is now available on the Cooking with Nonna TV Channels available on: Roku TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire and Android. Please search for the Cooking with Nonna channel on your TV platform and enjoy the show on your large TV screen!
For 4 Person(s)
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint, chopped very finely
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
For the Stuffing:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion cut into 1/4 dice
- 10 mediun sized mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated provolone cheese
- To make the sauce:
- Put a small saucepan (about 7 inches, 2 quarts) over a medium flame and add the oil, garlic and mint all together and saute for 2-3 minutes until the garlic just begins to color. Add the tomatoes and water stirring occasionally until the sauce comes to a boil. Lower the flame to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the stuffing:
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop them into a 1/4 inch dice.
- In a 12 inch skillet add the oil and onions together and saute over a medium flame until translucent. About 4-6 minutes. Add the stems and a pinch of salt and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Set aside and let cool. In the meantime mix the rest of the filling.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the pecorino cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Once cooled add the mushroom stems and onions to the mixing bowl and mix together until combined.
- In the same skillet used for sauteing the stems and onions add a layer of sauce, about 1 1/2 cups.
- Fill each mushroom with about 2 tablespoons of filling and place them back into the skillet.
- Spoon about 1-2 teaspoons of sauce over each mushroom depending on size and add 1 teaspoon of provolone over the sauce.
- Cover the skillet and place it back on the stove over a medium flame until the sauce begins to bubble, about 1-2 minutes. Lower the flame to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
Please Follow me on Instagram!